Enjoy the solitude of 4000 ha of untouched bush in this eco-friendly environment of the Soutpansberg Mountains.
GUIDED SCENIC DRIVES
PANORAMIC SUNDOWNER DRIVE (2 hours)
Enjoy the view on top of the Soutpansberg Mountains, investigating the ruins of an old Venda Village, overlooking the Morning Sun Reserve to view the big waterfall, short walk to the Baobab Tree, enjoying a drink while watching the beautiful sunset and an explanation of the activities on the reserve.
MASHOVHELA ROCK POOL (2 hours)
The guide drives the guests to the closest point with a short walk to the Mashovhela Rock Pool. Ideal for the elderly guests and/or small children.
PLATEAU TO ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE (4 hours)
A relaxing scenic drive along our Soutpansberg Mountain plateau wich ends at the Archaeological Site of Morning Sun Reserve. We stop for a snack and drink, where guests are welcome to walk around. Also recommended for bird watchers.
GUIDED SCENIC DRIVE AND WALK
MASHOVHELA POOL AND BIG WATERFALL (4 hours)
Our guide accompanies the guests on a beautiful scenic and botanical walk, visiting the Mashovhela Rock Pool en route to our big waterfall.
PLATEAU AND MASHOVHELA POOL (4 hours)
Driving around the mountain plateau road, you may come across some antelope while visiting a Venda village ruin which is followed by a walk down to the Mashovhela Rock Pool trail. Recommended for bird watchers.
GUIDED WALKING TRAILS
MASHOVHELA ROCK POOL (3 hours)
This is a nature walk to our sacred Mashovhela Rock Pool (the second most sacred site to the Venda people).
BIG WATERFALL (5 hours)
A relaxing walk from the lodge to our big waterfall passing the Mashovhela Rock Pool and enjoying the botanical diversity.
EAGLE'S NEST (1 hour)
A walk up the hill to see the Black eagle nest depending on the breeding season.
CHILDREN'S WALK (2 hours)
Educational but fun walks with our Venda guide to discover the world of insects, spiders and other bugs, plants and their uses to the Venda people, animal tracks and a lot more. They will search for footprints to make a cast out of Plaster of Paris which they can take home.
Children will also enjoy the guided walks and scenic drives on offer with their parents.
PLATEAU MOUNTAIN WALK (5 hours)
The guests walk up the botanical hill and over the top of the mountain and then along the road of the mountain plateau where they may come across some antelope, up to the view point overlooking the reserve to view the big waterfall, passing the ruins of an old Venda village, then heading down on the concrete mountain pass back to the lodge or along a bush trail via the Mashovhela Rock Pool back to the lodge.
RELAXING AT MORNING SUN
RELAXING TIME ON MORNING SUN
- Unguided walks on the Reserve
- Massage treat (book in advance)
- Enjoy a refreshing drink at our swimming pool
Pre–book 24 hours in advance
VENDA ARTS & CRAFTS TOUR (3 hours)
Depart after breakfast at 9 am – 12 pm
The Venda guide will take the children to the Elim area where they will visit women making stunning batiks with traditional patterns, bead work and embroidery. They will also be able to meet these Venda ladies’ children at the Pre-primary school next door. They will then visit a village where a lady cells Venda pots and more contemporary pots made by the Venda ladies from this village.
LODGE ACTIVITIES (3 hours)
Our Venda staff at the lodge can offer one of the following activities while the parents have a few hours to themselves. (Subject to availability)
- Venda bead Art: The Venda staff at the lodge will teach the children to make their own necklaces and/or bracelets using the beads that are used by the local Venda people.
- Venda Drumming: The Venda staff at the lodge will teach the children all about the different drums that they use and for what occasion it is used. The will also be able to drum themselves.
- Story-telling: Children are kept fascinated by stories of the Venda people of past happenings and their culture, which is filled with myths, water spirits, white crocodiles and many other mythical creatures.
- Treasure hunts: These vary in the degree of difficulty, easy for the youngsters and trickier for the older kids. Rate can be arranged with the adults, depending on the treasure gift.
- Hand painting: The children will paint their hand prints on white T-shirts. Rate can be arranged with the adults, depending on the material used..
- Colour in booklet: R45 per colouring-in booklet including pencils available in the curio shop
- Bongi’s Quest: They are also taught about Rhino poaching and what impact this will have on this specie – they will be given a children’s book that will educate them even more on their level of understanding. The book is called “Bongi’s Quest” which can be purchased at R30 in the curio shop
- FREE DVD’s or videos: The children can watch Kids DVD’s together in our communal TV room. (Subject to availability)
Excludes: Beverages / Gratuities
NATURE & ECO-LIVING (1 hour)
- Educational but fun walks with our Venda guide to discover the world of insects, spiders and other bugs, plants and their uses to the Venda people, animal tracks and a lot more. They will search for footprints to make a cast out of Plaster of Paris which they can take home.
- Children will also enjoy the guided walks and scenic drives on offer with their parents.
- Children are educated in eco-living and will hear an explanation on how the solar system, hot water system works and they will also learn more about waste recycling.
Excludes: Beverages / Gratuities
STARGAZING (Pre-book 2 weeks in advance)
Join our local Venda Astronomer who blends mythological stories with stargazing and watch the stars and planets rise as the earth slowly turns on its axis.
BIRDWATCHING (Pre-book 24 hours in advance)
With over 540 recorded species the Soutpansberg Mountains makes for an all year round birdwatching paradise. Join our specialised Birding Guide on a Walking Trail to spot the wide variety of Bird Species in the area.