SURROUNDING NORTHERN LIMPOPO TOURS
MAPUNGUBWE HERITAGE TOUR
Mapungubwe National Park and World Heritage Site is rich in biodiversity, great scenic beauty and of cultural importance to the archaeological treasures of Mapungubwe where the famous golden rhino was found.
This location was a precursor to Great Zimbabwe and Thulamela. Visit Mapungubwe Hill where a far developed African civilization prospered between 1200 and 1270 AD. The area was already inhabited by a growing Iron Age community from 900 AD and became rich through trade with faraway places like Egypt, India and China. This is the place where archeologists excavated the famous golden rhino and other evidence of a wealthy African kingdom.
- Early Breakfast at the Drumbeat Restaurant
- At 07h30 depart to the Mapungubwe World Heritage Site
- Depending on the days plan, you will stop on route at Alldays Pub for a quick refreshing drink.
- At the SAN Park entrance you will be picked up by a SAN Park Guide who will take you on a tour to the famous Mapungubwe Hill where the ancient king and his families lived. Here you will enjoy the scenic view of the park.
- Our guide will then take you to the architect-award winning Interpretation Centrewhere you will find out more about the ancient heritage & artefacts found in the area as well as a copy of the famous GOLDEN RHINO.
- We will then offer a picnic- lunch in the park.
- An afternoon game & sight-seeing drive through the park will lead to the confluence viewpoint where the Sashe and Limpopo rivers divide the South African, Botswana and Zimbabwe borders.
- After a snack & drink you will, depending on the day plan stop at Alldays Pub for a quick refreshing drink and then depart back to our Mashovhela Bush Lodge where you will have your dinner.
- Guided transport to Mapungubwe Park and back to Mashovhela Lodge
- Bottles of water
- All activities as per itinerary
- Entrance to the Park
- Heritage Hill tour
- Entrance to the Centre
- Afternoon game & scenic drive
- Children under 12 years pay half price accompanied with a minimum of 2 Adults.
- Gratuities Optional; Archaeological San (bushman) rock art tour (advanced booking is essential)
WESTERN SOUTPANSBERG TOUR
A visit to the Soutpansberg salt pans, Blouberg Nature Reserve, Schoemansdal Museum and the “Dancing Fish” African Art Gallery.
- Bergpans salt pans: The Soutpansberg Mountains derived its name from these large salt-pans, which have probably been used by game since time immemorial and whose salt has been exploited from the Stone Age time’s right up to present.
- Blouberg Nature Reserve: View the largest colony of Cape Vultures.
- Schoemandsdal Museum: An exhibition of old building styles
- “Dancing Fish” Gallery at MadiaThavha: A variety of African Art to admire and appreciate.
NORTHERN KRUGER PARK TOUR
Your will enter Kruger National Park at the most northern Punda Maria Gate, spend the day game viewing around the Limpopo river area. You will exit the park at the Pufari Gate on your way back to the lodge.
- Punda Maria Gate: to enter or exit the Kruger National Park; is the most northerly gate in the Kruger National Park and was originally established as an outpost to catch ivory poachers. This area offers outstanding birding and often described as the “botanical garden” of the Kruger.
- Thulamela Archaeological site: This is a stone walled site dating back 450 – 500 years. This forms part of the Zimbabwe culture, which is believed to have started at Mapungubwe. There is evidence that gold was already being smelted here in 1300 AD.
- Big Tree at Sagole Spa: The world’s oldest and largest Baobab tree, estimated at 3000 years and with a circumference of 43m. Sagole Spa also features a natural hot spring and Tshikovha, a local herbalist and diviner of international repute, can be visited by arrangement.
- Crooks Corner: acquired its name from the number of outlaws living there. Situated where South Africa. Zimbabwe and Mozambique meet, it was an ideal for them to slip across a border when the authorities came searching for them.
- Pufuri Gate: to enter or exit the Kruger National Park